11 Reasons Why You Don't Wait Till You Retire to Travel
There are so many reasons why waiting till you retire to travel is a bad idea. The old business of the trip being half the pleasure disappeared years ago as airports become armed camps and gates within airports become taxi trips with no taxis. For older folks the airport puzzle requires extra time and care so traveling is no longer fun.
The Best Time to Travel is Now
I am not saying that just because you’re retired, you should no longer travel. Do it. This message is really for people who dream of traveling but keep putting it off and saving it for retirement. There is no better time to hit the bucket list than NOW before the siren call of an ocean cruise overpowers the sense of adventure for distant climes!
We are now vintage and we still travel but I tell you, I envy those young adventurers who packed their bags and decide to trek the world.
They are there for each adventure. Climb Mt. Everest, scuba dive in the Maldives, swim across islands, take the tuk tuks and sardine tin local transports and come home with a diary of stories of places only the young crazy adventurous would have.
When I hear them chatting, I thank my lucky stars I am not among their ilk, but there is a frisson of envy as I admire their tireless recovery capacity from misadventure.
Why Travel When You're Young
We have friends who are now in their 50’s who fitted in their adventures in their 20’s. Funny that only now do they have the courage to tell of their mishaps to their Moms and Dads and siblings, perfected over time into Kiplingesque stories in the great tradition of travel tales.
You can still see the fun in their eyes, feel their exhilaration of something amazingly new and the adrenaline of the young. And they’re happy they did it.
Now, there are kids to think of so their travel choices are different. But when you’re young and have only to think of yourself, you can really go places and have the years ahead to polish tales as the memories shift with time.
My husband and I in our early 70s and mid 60s and know too well the stress that travel brings. When we were younger, taking long flights in Coach and working immediately upon arrival was no problem. No longer is that true. We try to time flights to avoid heavy hours or days at airports. We take Business or First now for those long flights and we go early to have a weekend at least before work starts.
So, here is why I recommend travel while you’re young:
1. You are stronger and able to handle whatever adventure suits your fancy.
At our age, we find ourselves waiting in comfortable places as the others climb to see some of those painted caves or monasteries on top of hills or see the best views from on top. In most cases, we saw them 40 years ago anyway….but the pictures are faded.
2. You don’t have to lug medicines and be worried about running out in places where you can’t find reliable refill sources.
3. You can easily carry your luggage from boats to hotels or departure areas or when climbs or walks are required to see places.
4. You can climb mountains and enjoy the best views ever and feel exhilarated.
5. You can can spend hours with a snorkel and mask and see the wonderful underwater world
6. You can stay up and enjoy the night life in cities you visit
7. You can try out unique food without incredible consequences
8. You can help and not be helped in group travel
9. You don’t have to bring your cane or ask for assistance in airports
10. You can walk fast and not delay the others when travelling in a group
11. You don’t need to fill your luggage with pads or ask for bathroom stops often.
Don’t let age stop you from travel though. There are ways of traveling more suited to the vintage. Cruises are great especially river cruises to see heartlands. It is easy as you can see several places without packing and unpacking or fighting through immigration walls. You can choose to go or not to go to the various land trips on offer. In short, you can pace yourself.
But for those who want adventure, travel now. Don’t wait for that retirement. Fantastic experience are available for retirees, but some of the best slide off the back of the truck, as father time nibbles away at your capabilities.
Read more for your next travel: